Friday, January 18, 2008

It's late....I'm writing

When I say late, I mean late for me.....it's 11:05 on a Friday night - not your typical late for a 27 year old gal. I'm getting tired, but not quite ready for bed. I've had a few random thoughts lately, so I thought I'd post.

First, ask for what you want.....
This is something I have always been really bad at. Those of you who know me well may not believe this, but it is completely true. I read a quote recently and used it on my MIL when she was afraid to ask off work to go to a funeral. It goes a little something like this:

If you don't ask, the answer is always no....etc.etc.etc.
Guess what.....she went to the funeral.
Second, negotiate EVERYTHING.....
I guess this sort of applies to #2. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. I have been DYING to get HD DVR for Directv. Next week, I swear on my life, I am going to call them and tell them that I want it and I want it for free. I see all of the ads on tv saying free upgrades for new accounts......we've been with them for two years.....we've earned the discount. It works for my aunt. She is the queen of negotiation. Example: She is the only person in her county who gets her car detailed for $15. I mean, seriously....that is ridiculous. Example #2: J got her some tile for her kitchen back when he worked for CG and he got it at the contractor's price. Well, since he is no longer there - or anywhere for that matter - he doesn't have that hookup. Yesterday, Lisa calls the tile shop and says, "I need this tile. I paid X per tile before and I'd like to pay that again". Dealer agrees. Learn to negotiate. The worst they can say is no.
Third - and most importantly - Try something new.....
Another new favorite quote:
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.
~Anonymous
This one really applies to me and my business. I could have spent my life behind a desk dreaming of what I wanted to do, or I could get out and do it. I have to say I'm really proud of myself for that. I'm not going to lie....it's been hard. Especially now with both J and I at home. But, I know it is going to all pay off in the end. Vera Wang had to start somewhere, right? Ok, maybe I'll aim a little smaller scale - Chez Ami? Kelley's Kids? Blessed be the Name?
Again, I'm trying something else new with Thirty-one Gifts. I'm really not into direct selling or home parties for stuff like that, but for some reason this is different. I really like it and I want to do well with it. As a matter of fact, I made my first sale today! I'm hoping for lots more at the party on the 26th!
I guess I'll get off my soapbox. I didn't really intend on this being a motivational post, but like I said....I have just had these random thoughts lately and thought I'd share. Have a great night!

0 comments: