Thursday, February 28, 2008

Finally a pretty day....

I feel like it has been so gloomy lately - maybe just because it is so cold outside and everything seems to be frozen.....including me! We have just learned to love our gas logs and have been turning them on every day - early morning and late evening - just to get warm. Our heat decided to stop working right before it turned 28 degrees and there is really no telling what it will cost to fix. I keep telling hubby not to worry about it - it will be warm soon. Plus, there is something cozy and romantic about a fire anyway. Well, come to find out, if the heat doesn't work the a/c won't work either so it can't get too hot before we decide to shell out the big bucks to fix it. Side note: funny thing just came on the news - the morning weather in a word on NBC is "TempuraCHEER" - everyone is cheering about the warm weather - get it? Moving on.....

This weekend I have my one and only show for March - I have to say I'm a little relieved. March will give me the opportunity to get caught up on February and a little break before April. I have 4 shows in April - 2 the first week and 2 the third week. I have two shows in May and then I'm done with shows until the second week in July which will start Fall shows. I'm so thrilled about Fall! I have decided to change my procedures a bit and now is as good a time as any to unofficially announce those changes.

If you have been to one of my shows in the past, you know that my fabric selection is MASSIVE and is added to after each show. My growing collection is only slightly out of control and for Fall I am going to try to tame it. By giving so many choices I think it really lets customers explore their creativity which I love. BUT it costs me an arm and a leg. Shipping on the individual fabrics alone is killing me. SO, I have decided to buy large bolts of several new fabrics and only offer those fabrics. Custom fabrics will have a $10 upcharge (this price may change, but as of now that is the number that I have come up with that will cover my shipping charges) All the basics will still be offered. i.e. ginghams, corduroys and solids. Those are things I can afford to either keep on hand or run to the store and buy. I have established wholesale accounts with several major fabric designers and am very excited about having those to offer my customers. Of course the fabric selection will change with the season which will truly make each season's line new and fresh. In addition, the fabrics that I have chosen (with the help of some good friends) will all mix and match still allowing each outfit to be unique.

I'm also planning a large fabric board instead of a book for fall. The board will be corkboard and the fabric swatches will be larger allowing more of the patterns to show. In addition, you will be able to move around the fabrics to create pairings so you can see what your coordinating fabrics look like together! I'm really excited about all of these changes and think it is going to be great for the customer as well as for me. Though the upfront cost is killer, it will make things more pleasant in the long run!

That's all for me today, I suppose. It is only 7:20 am and I've already been up for 3 hours. It has now warmed up enough to turn the fireplace off and go upstairs to sew!

0 comments: